BSP warns public against auto loan rackets

BSP warns public against auto loan rackets | Juan Manila

 

The public is warned against crooked schemes victimizing buyers and sellers alike that involve auto vehicle loans in a mix of modes of deception.


 

MANILA — Car theft syndicates have a new racket, warns the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) in a statement on Wednesday, 29 September, called “assume balance” or “pasalo” scheme or “pasalo-benta”.

The perpetrators of the modus target buyers who want to save money on vehicle purchases. In a parallel racket, they target sellers who need to transfer their loan liabilities to the buyer.

In the mix, the vehicle buyer, holding fake documents, will end up not owning one while the seller ends up defaulting on his loan, and the will be car repossessed by the bank.

“The original seller defaults on his auto loan and the car gets repossessed by the financial institution, leaving the end-buyer with nothing,” the central pointed out.

The banks, still holding the vehicles’ original certificates of registration from the Land Transportation Office and car dealers, may still recover them with the assistance of law enforcement agents by flagging vehicles or issuing alerts.

The BSP said “the buyer may not recover anything as he or she is holding falsified document.”

A memorandum had been sent out to all financial institutions to reinforce their conduct of customer identification and verification processes.

The central bank identified some other types of illegal activities involving cars: rent-tangay (selling of rented vehicle), rent-sangla (pawning of rented vehicle), loan accommodator or labas-casa schemes (where a person is paid to take out a car loan and run off with the vehicle).

It has taken into account similar warnings made by the Philippine National Police on syndicates acquiring high-end vehicles through loans by bogus means, including identity theft.

The BSP reminds banks to strictly observe anti-money laundering regulations, monitoring of customers and their transactions, reporting of any suspicious transactions. The banks are also required to continue training programs on anti-laundering, especially those related to accreditations or partnerships with car dealers. (RA/JuanManila)

Estrada to run for senate, open and willing to be adopted

Estrada to run for senate, open and willing to be adopted | Juan Manila

 

Former senator Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada made his announcement Wednesday that he will run for a Senate seat in the 2022 national elections.


 

MANILA — Running under the Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino banner, Mr Estrada is the only senatorial candidate of the party.

Mga kababayan, mga kasama, mga ka-masa, ako po si Jinggoy, buong puso kong inihahayag ang aking intensyong makibahagi sa malinis na halalan upang maging senador muli,” he said in his announcement.

He also said he is open and willing to be adopted by other parties, including that of Senator Panfilo Lacson’s, under which JV Ejercito is part of its senatorial ticket. He also mentions being open to be under Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso’s wing.

Mr Estrada is facing a plunder case over the pork barrel scam involving ₱183 million. He was granted bail in September 2017.

Half-brothers JV Ejercito and Jinggoy Estrada have been in a rift since Ejercito signed a 2014 Senate committee report against Juan Ponce Enrile, Bong Revilla and his half-borhter for misusing government funds. They both lost in the 2019 senatorial race. (RA/JuanManila)

‘Choose leaders who are servants at heart’

'Choose leaders who are servants at heart' | Juan Manila

 

As the May 2022 polls get closer and voters are listing their choice of leaders, a Catholic bishop makes his call to vote for leaders the Filipinos deserve.


 

MANILA — “Leaders with a serving heart” are what Kidapawan Bishop Jose Collin Bagaforo wants for voters to look for in candidates as they present themselves during the campaign stretch until the national elections.

“Our choice reflects our values,” the bishop said as the launch of Halalang Marangal 2022 Coalition tool place on Tuesday.

An alliance of 20 church and civic groups, it was established to campaign for voters’ registration, voters’ education, and poll monitoring.

As a sacred duty, voting or the exercise of the right to suffrage is “an expression and affirmation of our human dignity, a foundational principle of Catholic social teaching,” he pointed out.

Voting is God’s gift to the people, he said, “and how we use this is our gift to our country.”

“It is a fulfillment of one’s responsibility to participate in and influence the social, political affairs of our nation,” he explained.

The Filipinos deserve a leader with “servant hearts” accompanied by “competence, experience, compassion, kindness, passion, and perseverance.”

“A functioning leader provides direction and inspires God’s family to work tirelessly to improve the condition of all Filipinos with preferential attention to the marginalized and excluded (members of society),” Bishop Bagaforo said. (RA/JuanManila)


Featured image: “Choose leaders who are servants at heart.” Bishop Jose Collin Bagaforo of Kidapawan. /Credit: Davao Catholic Herald

Sara Duterte leads presidential bets—Pulse Asia

Sara Duterte leads presidential bets—Pulse Asia | Juan Manila

 

In a Pulse Asia survey conducted from 06 to 11 September, the results show that Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio is the top pick for president in the 2022 national elections.

Released Wednesday, the survey also shows Senate President Vicente Sotto III as the leader in the race for vice president.


 

MANILA — Sara Duterte-Carpio, with 20 percent of surveyed Filipinos behind her, a sharp drop from her June rating of 28 percent, has announced she will not run for the presidency next year.

The ranking of the other candidates in the same category show: Ferdinand Marcos (15 percent); Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso (13 percent); Senator Emmanuel Pacquiao (12 percent); Senator Grace Poe (9 percent); Vice President Leni Robredo (8 percent), and Senator Panfilo Lacson (6 percent).

For the vice president position, Mr Sotto is top with 25 percent of surveyed Filipinos supporting him. Behind the Senate President in rank are: President Rodrigo Duterte (14 percent); Mr “Isko Moreno” and Mr Marcos (12 percent each), Senators Pacquiao and Christopher Lawrence Go (7 percent each).

Mr Duterte also made a sharp drop from a previous rating of 18 percent. Mr Sotto, meanwhile, gained sharp increase in following from a 10 percent rating from a previous survey.

The survey was conducted nationwide and was based on a face-to-face interview of 2,400 adult Filipinos aged 18 and above. It used a ± 2 percent error margin at 95 percent confidence level. This latest survey release, according to Pulse Asia president Ronald Homes, is part of the firm’s regular survey. (RA/JuanManila)

New PNPA chief to ‘implement adjustments needed’

New PNPA chief to 'implement adjustments needed' | Juan Manila

 

Newly-installed Philippine National Police Academy director Rhoderick Sampaga has a lot on his shoulders as ‘review of rules and regulations and academic policies and aggressive reforms’ sweep the academy.

The recent death of Cadet 3rd Class George Magsayo has prompted Police General Guillermo Eleazar to immediately change the PNPA leadership.


 

MANILA — General Eleazar said he expects the new PNPA director to “bring in innovative ideas and fresh perspective that would effectively implement the necessary adjustments in further improving the institution for each cadet to live up to its core values of Justice, Integrity, and Service.”

Meanwhile, Magsayo’s upperclassman, Cadet Second Class Steve Ceasar Maingat, who was reported to have punched Magsayo at least five times until he collapsed, will be charged criminally, said General Eleazar, aside from the administrative case that will also be filed against him.

“Let this serve as a stern warning to all the PNPA cadets that the PNPA leadership will never tolerate this misbehavior and serious breach of discipline and moral values.”

In the custody of the Silang Municipal Police Station, according to the PNP, Maingat remains there until further investigation. The charges against him could be grounds from his dismissal from the academy. (RA/JuanManila)

DICT speeds up digital connectivity

DICT speeds up digital connectivity | Juan Manila

 

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) has launched a redundant system designed to make the first phase of the Government’s National Broadband Program (NBP) more resilient.


 

MANILA — The DICT said the so-called “resiliency route” is supplemental infrastructure that will serve as a redundancy and protection loop connecting to the international gateway access through Singapore.

“Providing fast, reliable, and affordable digital connectivity to our country’s centers of economic activity is central to our efforts to rebuild the economy, which has been severely affected by the pandemic,” says DICT Secretary Gregorio B. Honasan III its launch.

The NBP aims to trigger policy and regulatory reforms, investing in broadband infrastructure such as the national fiber backbone, and stimulate broadband demand.

The supplemental infrastructure or resiliency route for Phase 1 of the NBP was part of the ongoing efforts of DICT “to future-proof the program,” says Mr Honasan.

“This will play an integral role in the continuity of internet connectivity to the busiest areas of Metro Manila, Metro Cebu, and Metro Davao, and soon every Filipino, bridging the digital divide,” the DICT explains in a statement.

The DICT disclosed that the national fiber backbone component has three phases: lighting up fiber on the national electrical transmission system; constructing domestic submarine fiber to connect Luzon to the Visayas and the Visayas to Mindanao; and completing the national fiber backbone with multiple loops. (JD/JuanManila)

MMDA gives free flu shots to its elderly employees

MMDA gives free flu shots to its elderly employees | Juan Manila

 

MMDA chairman Benjamin Abalos Jr disclosed that the vaccines administered to its elderly employees were provided by the Department of Health (DoH).


 

MANILA — Senior citizen employees of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) were given flu vaccines for free in a bid to help shield them from respiratory diseases and the coronavirus disease 2019.

“Amidst the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, getting the flu vaccine is very important in helping prevent hospitalization and giving protection to the vulnerable group,” Mr Abalos said.

“Our employees’ health and welfare are our priority. Through this vaccination drive, we can further boost the immunity of our elderly employees, especially those who are working in the field, which makes them more exposed to viruses.”

The trivalent flu shots administered to their senior citizen work force cover three influenza strains: the H1N1, H3N2, and influenza B.

In April, the MMDA started administering Covid-19 jabs to its senior citizen employees.

Despite the protection measure being implemented, the MMDA chair reiterated his call to employees to continue observing minimum health standards including the wearing of face shields and face masks, frequent hand washing, and maintaining physical and social distancing. (TRC/JuanManila)


Featured image: A senior citizen traffic enforcer receives his free flu shot at the MMDA headquarters in Makati City. Photo: MMDA PIO/Mary Ann Tanbio

2021 Bar exams re-scheduled in Jan-Feb 2022

2021 Bar exams re-scheduled in Jan-Feb 2022 | Juan Manila

 

From November 2021, the Supreme Court moved the Bar examinations date to January and February 2022.

The move was done “after considering the COVID-19 situation nationally”.


 

MANILA — The new dates for the Bar are set on 16, 23, 30 January and 06 February, Associate Justice Marvic Leonen disclosed. He is also the chair of the Bar.

“After considering the COVID-19 situation nationally and in all the testing sites, as well as receiving advice from various experts, the Supreme Court, after recommendation by the Bar Chairperson, with an abundance of caution and to assure the highest level of safety for all the bar applicants and personnel, decided to reset the Bar Examinations from November 2021 to January 16, 23, 20, and February 6, 2022.” the associate justice wrote in the Bar Bulletin No. 28.

The re-schedule does not re-open, however, the application period.

All preparatory activities related to the Bar examinations should continue, according to the Bar chair, including the selection of the applicants’ venue, downloading of secure exam delivery program, and others.

Leonen advised to take the move as an opportunity.

“Treat this as an opportunity. Keep your momentum. Remember that you study not only to pass the Bar Examinations but also so that you will best serve others. Study well, purposively, and with passion.” (RA/JuanManila)

60% Pinoys aware Duterte’s VP run unconstitutional—SWS

60% Pinoys aware Duterte's VP run unconstitutional—SWS | Juan Manila

 

More than half of adult Filipinos, according to a recent Social Weather Stations survey, believe that a vice presidential run in 2022 for President Rodrigo Duterte is against the Constitution and tells all about his desire to stay in power longer.


 

MANILA — The pollster released on Monday a survey it conducted on 23 to 26 June 2021, even before Mr Duterte confirmed he would vie for the second highest position in the land.

According to the survey result, 60 percent of respondents agree with the statement that “the proposal that President Rodrigo Duterte should run for Vice-President in 2022 violates the intention of the Constitution, which should first be amended before he may run for office again.”

Meanwhile, 39 percent of the subjects agreed that “President Rodrigo Duterte should run for Vice-President in the 2022 election, because I would like his management of the government to continue.”

There was one percent of the respondents who did not choose any statement.

 

What the majorities say

The SWS survey shows that majorities across basic demographics say Duterte running in 2022 would violate the Constitution-

  • By Area
Balance Luzon 65 percent
Visayas 59 percent
Metro Manila 56 percent
Mindanao 53 percent

 

  • By Educational Levels
Elementary graduates 70 percent
Non-elementary graduates 67 percent
College graduates 61 percent
Junior high school graduates 52 percent

 

Regardless of poverty, majorities oppose a VP run for Duterte

  • By Filipino families rating themselves as
Poor 48 percent
Borderline 29 percent
Not Poor 23 percent
  • By self-rated poverty
Not poor 64 percent
Borderline 61 percent
Poor 58 percent

 

Strong opposition to a VP run for President Duterte among those dissatisfied with him

Filipinos satisfied 75 percent
Undecided 12 percent
Dissatisfied 13 percent

 

Those who oppose a Vice-Presidential bid for President Duterte in 2022 were highest among those with his performance are

Very dissatisfied 88 percent
Somewhat dissatisfied 83 percent
Undecided 81 percent
Somewhat satisfied 62 percent
Very satisfied 42 percent

 

On the other hand, those who favor a Vice-Presidential bid for Pres. Duterte in 2022 was highest among those with his performance are

Very satisfied 58 percent
Somewhat satisfied 38 percent
Undecided 19 percent
Somewhat dissatisfied 17 percent
Very dissatisfied 12 percent

 

The survey was conducted using face-to-face interview of 1,200 adults, 18 years and above, nationwide: 300 each in Metro Manila, Balance Luzon, the Visayas, and Mindanao. (RA/JuanManila)

‘Extraordinary circumstances’ extend voter registration

'Extraordinary circumstances' extend voter registration | Juan Manila

 

Despite the Commission on Election’s (Comelec) continued refusal to allow a month of extension for voter registration, the Senate has passed the law that will extend until 31 October its deadline.


 

MANILA — With a 23-to-none tally in favor of the extension period of voter registration, the Senate approved on its third reading Senate Bill No. 2408.

Principal author of the bill Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri underscored the urgency of passing the legislation mandating the Comelec to move its deadline to allow more voters to exercise their right to vote in 2022.

The extension of the deadline would prevent the disenfranchisement of about 12 million eligible voters, he said during his sponsorship speech last week.

An explanatory note also sheds light to almost six months of registration period was lost due to stringent lockdown in 2020, in addition, there had been days when some areas reverted to enhanced community quarantine, more days were lost.

Besides, the senators explained, the 30 September 2021 deadline was set before the pandemic. The polling body could have made necessary adjustments, considering the “adverse impact of the pandemic on voter registration”.

The senators also cited that with the projected voting population of 73.3 million set by the Philippine Statistics Office in February 2021, the Comelec’s report as of June 2021 of around 60 million registered voters for the 2022 elections was seen lacking.

“Given the extraordinary circumstances of the pandemic, it is necessary to extend the voter registration order to giver unregistered Filipinos of voting age ample time to register, and eventually exercise their constitutional right to vote,” Senator Zubiri said.

A similar bill in the House of Representative has been approved on second reading.

“Hopefully the president will sign this request,” Senator Zubiri said. (RA/JuanManila)