Workers’ groups welcome ‘Bongbong-Sara’ tandem

Workers' groups welcome 'Bongbong-Sara' tandem | Juan Manila

 

Workers’ groups have thrown their support to what they believe is the ‘team to beat’ in the forthcoming national and local elections set for 09 May next year.

President Rodrigo Duterte’s daughter, running under Lakas-CMD, has been unanimously endorsed by majority of the working class and labor groups as Marcos Jr’s vice president and running mate.


 

MANILA, Philippines — Reacting to this development, the Workers Peasant Party (WPP), Labor Party of the Philippines (LPP) and Partido Lakas ng Manggagawang Pilipino (PLMP) welcomed the Marcos-Duterte tandem, saying this marks a unified force that would establish a government that would focus on the welfare of workers and the labor sector.

In a statement, PLMP secretary-general Ka Terry Tuazon said that Mayor Sara’s joining the PFP and her decision to run as vice president of Bongbong will strengthen the campaign platform of both leaders.

“We pledge our support in behalf of the millions of workers who have been wanting reform and change for the betterment of the labor sector and with Bongbong and Inday Sara at the helm, we expect the country to move forward with an empowered labor force galvanized into action to bring the speedy recovery of our country’s economy that has been mangled by the health crisis brought by the (coronavirus) pandemic,” Tuazon pointed out. (TRC/JuanManila)

Crackdown on Chinese telecom, tech firms signed into law

Crackdown on Chinese telecom, tech firms signed into law | Juan Manila

 

US president Joe Biden signs the Secure Equipment Act approved both by the Senate and House in a bid to Crackdown on Chinese telecom firms. (Photo: Jurist.com)

In a bid to prevent firms like Huawei Technologies or ZTE Corporation, deemed security threats, from receiving new equipment licenses from American regulators, United States president Joseph Biden has signed legislation for a crackdown on Chinese telecom and tech companies.


 

WASHINGTON DC, USA — The new legislation known as the Secure Equipment Act was approved by both the US Senate and the House of Representatives separately and overwhelmingly.

The signing comes days before Biden and Chinese leader Xi Jinping are scheduled to meet in a virtual summit amidst growing tension between the two global super economies that prompted Beijing to warn on a possible ‘cold war’ with Washington and its allies.

Reuters reported that the meeting of the two leaders representing East and West this Monday, 15 November, will focus on crucial policies over trade, human rights, and military activities.

Under the new law, the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will no longer review or approve any authorization application for equipment that poses an unacceptable risk to national security.

Since 2018, FCC commissioner Brendan Carr said they had approved more than 3,000 applications from Huawei and with the enactment of the Secure Equipment Act, insecure gear from companies like Huawei and ZTE will no longer be inserted into America’s communications networks.

Last March, the FCC tagged five Chinese companies as posing a threat to national security under a 2019 law aimed at protecting American communications networks. The named companies included previously designated Huawei and ZTE, as well as Hytera Communications (002583.SZ), Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology (002415.SZ) and Zhejiang Dahua Technology (002236.SZ).

Three months later, the FCC voted unanimously to advance a plan to ban approvals for equipment in US telecommunications networks from those Chinese companies even as lawmakers pursued legislation to mandate it.

Reacting to the FCC vote in June, Beijing quickly criticized Washington for espousing action against Chinese companies.
“The United States, without any evidence, still abuses national security and state power to suppress Chinese companies,” Zhao Lijian, a spokesperson of China’s foreign ministry, pointed out, apparently apprehensive over proposed rules that won initial approval and gave the FCC the legal capacity to revoke prior equipment authorizations issued to Chinese companies. (TRC/JuanManila)

Manila to achieve herd immunity soon, only 60k left

Manila to achieve herd immunity soon, only 60k left | Juan Manila

 

Manila takes a step closer to achieving herd immunity with only 58,870 individuals left to be fully vaccinated in the city.


 

MANILA, Philippines — The city’s target population is 1,351,487, with currently 95.64 percent of this already inoculated from Covid-19.

The city has already exceeded the Department of Health’s target number in providing the people their first doses. It has already achieved 107.22 percent of the agency’s goal.

Presently, the city has a total of 1,292,617 individuals fully vaccinated from the virus, with an additional 50,000 pediatric jabs on their first doses as of 13 November.

In its latest report, Manila has recorded 271 active COVID-19 cases as of 14 November. (HMP/Headline PH)


Featured image: A drive-thru vaccination center was installed on 31 July 2021 at the Quirino Grandstand and could accommodate up to 1,200 individuals daily. /Credit: Manila PIO

Escudero says candidates should reveal SALNs

Escudero says candidates should reveal SALNs | Juan Manila

 

Sorsogon Governor Francis Escudero urges candidates running in the 2022 elections to disclose their statements of assets, liabilities and net worth, to promote credibility and integrity.

A Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Net Worth is an annual document that all government workers in the Philippines, whether regular or temporary, must complete and submit attesting under oath to their total assets and liabilities, including businesses and financial interests, that make up their net worth.


 

MANILA, Philippines — According to the governor from Sorsogon, knowing their candidates’ SALNs will help voters to make an informed decision on choosing who to vote as their leaders.

Kung alam ng mga botante ang SALN ng mga tumatakbo, maari itong makatulong sa ating mga kababayan sa kanilang pagpili ng mga kandidato para sa darating na halalan,” Escudero said.

(If voters know the SALN of candidates, it can help our countrymen in their selection of candidates for the upcoming election.)

Escudero filed a bill during his time in the Senate that requires public officials and employees mandatory signing of bank waivers along with the filing of the SALN with the Office of the Ombudsman.

“For greater transparency, we should make our SALNs readily available. Kung wala ka namang itinatago, wala kang dapat ikatakot,” he said.

(If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.)

However, current Ombudsman Samuel Martires blocked the access to SALNs which, he sais, was a move to prevent it from being “weaponized against government officials.” (HMP/JuanManila)

Comelec pushes for one organizer in election debates

Comelec pushes for one organizer in election debates | Juan Manila

 

Ahead of the forthcoming national and local elections in May next year, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) announced that they are now planning more changes for the presidential and vice presidential debates before the electoral exercise scheduled on 09 May 2022.


 

MANILA, Philippines — According to Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez, instead of having different media outlets host the planned three rounds of debates each for presidential and vice presidential candidates, they propose to assign only one group as organizer.

Jimenez disclosed that the Comelec is planning a ‘teaser’ presidential debate in January next year even though the campaign period has been officially set to begin on 12 February for national candidates and on 29 March for local candidates.

“The proposal on the table…is sort of different from how we used to do it before,” he explained in a media briefing.

In the last elections in 2016, the Comelec held three live televised presidential debates hosted by three different media outlets and the lone vice presidential debate was hosted by a fourth media outlet.

“We are looking at a different model now, which is one organizer of the debate and everyone gets to cover it equally, like a pool(ed) coverage,” the Comelec spokesperson pointed out

“Aside from the three presidential and three vice presidential debates, the Comelec is also planning to hold a ‘primary debate’ among the presidential candidates, which will be probably done early in the year—a sort of a teaser for the debates,” he added.

Jimenez said candidates will still be required to engage in other televised face-to-face debates with no live audience as a precaution amidst the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. (TRC/JuanManila)

Reimposition of number coding scheme still under study

Reimposition of number coding scheme still under study | The MiNT

 

Metropolitan Manila Development authority chairman Benjamin Abalos Jr revealed that the agency is looking into the reimposition of the number coding scheme.

It noted decreasing traffic speed on main thoroughfares around Metro Manila in the absence of a number coding scheme in place and that more vehicular traffic are now on the road as the quarantine restrictions have been eased under the lowered alert status in the metropolis.


 

MANILA, Philippines — The proposal to reimpose the MMDA’s number coding scheme came in the wake of the noticeable influx of more vehicles on metro streets significantly slowing traffic flow compared to the recorded speed when the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) was being implemented.

“Travel speed along EDSA from Roxas Boulevard going to Monumento is slower at 19 kilometers per hour (kph) now that we are under alert level 2 compared to 23 kph during the ECQ.

“If we recorded the pre-pandemic speed of 11kph, it is possible that we shall re-implement the number coding scheme but we are monitoring the traffic volume count and the speed every day,” Abalos explained.

Meanwhile, the installation of new traffic signal lights and improved street signages and features, has noticeably helped in increasing travel speed and enabling faster turnaround time for buses and other vehicular traffic.

The new loading and unloading bays at the center island of EDSA Buendia, part of the EDSA Bus Carousel project is also aimed to decongest traffic. (TRC/JuanManila)

Ex-PNP chief Eleazar eyes a Senate seat in May 2022

Ex-PNP chief Eleazar eyes a Senate seat in May 2022 | Juan Manila

 

Newly-retired Philippine National chief Guillermo Eleazar will run for senator.

He will join under the tandem of Senator Panfilo Lacson and Senate President Vicente Sotto, Lacson confirmed on Saturday.


 

MANILA, Philippines — The former PNP chief will substitute for newspaper columnist and PWD (person with disability) advocate Paolo Capino, who withdrew his candidacy due to low ratings in surveys.

“Yes, I confirm that he will run under Partido Reporma to substitute for Paolo Capino who has announced his intention to withdraw from the senatorial race yesterday,” Lacson, Partido Reporma chairman and standard-bearer, said.

Eleazar served as PNP chief for six months and is succeeded by President Rodrigo Duterte’s new appointee Dionardo Carlos. Carlos was chief of PNP directorial staff during Eleazar’s term.

The Commission on Elections will accept application of withdrawals and substitutions until 15 November. (RA/JuanManila)

Roque didn’t make it to UN International Law Commission

Roque didn't make it to UN International Law Commission | Juan Manila

 

The United Nations International Law Commission (ILC announced that presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr failed to get a seat at the global law body.


 

MANILA, Philippines — During the UN’s 32nd plenary meeting at its 76th session, the ILC election of new members was held. Roque garnered the least number of votes, 87, among 11 nominees from the Asia-Pacific region. Chosen were only eight.

Roque sent a statement early Saturday which read, “My candidature at the ILC was a challenging campaign throughout but we met it head on.”

He expressed his gratitude to President Rodrigo Duterte for nominating him to the body and those who supported him.

He went on with “I wish the new members of the ILC success as they tackle challenging issues such as rising sea levels and vaccine equality, issues which I will continue to advocate for as well.”

In all, 34 newly-elected members will begin on 01 January 2023 for their five-year term. (RA/JuanManila)

Isko Moreno not inclined to bring back US bases

Isko Moreno not inclined to bring back US bases | Juan Manila

 

Presidential aspirant and Manila mayor Francisco ‘Isko Moreno’ Domagoso vowed he would defend Philippine sovereignty and its territories even if it comes to a ‘David and Goliath‘ confrontation between the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the People’s Liberation Army (PLA).

Moreno cited China’s incursions into the West Philippines Sea (WPS), particularly in the country’s exclusive economic zones (EEZs), which has impoverished local fisher folk who have been victims of harassment by the Chinese coast guard and fishing militia vessels.

He added that as part of defending the WPS, he plans to pursue the continued modernization of the Philippine Navy (PN) and Philippine Coast Guard (PCG).

The presidential aspirant also touched on the Mutual Defense Treaty and Visiting Forces Agreement with the United States, which he said he plans to strengthen to augment the country’s security, especially with the threat of expansionist policies in Asia clearly shown by Beijing, which is now rapidly expanding its nuclear arsenal.

Domagoso clarified that he is not inclined to invite the US to reinstall military bases in the Philippines because this has to be thoroughly studied first before any decision is made, which should be certified with legislation.


SUBIC BAY FREEPORT, ZAMBALES — Manila’s chief executive visited the fisher folk in the town of Subic on Thursday and he disclosed that he would seriously assert The Hague ruling.

If it results in the refusal of Philippine claims by Beijing, he would back this up by building the country’s capacity to defend its waters in securing unimpeded access for small fisher folk to the abundant fishing grounds found within the WPS.

“We will be fearless in fighting for what is ours. We will insist The Hague ruling. But at the same time as being fearless, we are going to be fair with our discussion and management of the situation on both sides,” Domagoso told local fishermen during his visit which is part of his listening tour in Zambales.

The Manila mayor also revealed that he plans to intensify efforts in gaining trade treaties and agreements with regional neighbors in Southeast Asia, even with claimants to the West Philippine Sea and economic rivals of the US, as part of his administrative platform for the speedy recovery of the economy which has been gravely effected by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“Treaties will be recognized. Trade with America, Vietnam, China, and all other nations will continue because (the) WPS issue is far different from our economic issue in terms of trade.

“We’ll take that as an opportunity for us to gain: for the people to gain: for the country to gain.” (TRC/JuanManila)

PFP adopts Sara Duterte-Carpio as VP in 2022

PFP adopts Sara Duterte-Carpio as VP in 2022 | Juan Manila

 

Partido Federal ng Pilipinas (PFP) announced on Saturday that it had adopted Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio as its Vice Presidential candidate and endorsed her as the running mate of party standard-bearer Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos, Jr in the upcoming 2022 elections.


 

MANILA, Philippines — The PFP Executive Committee released a resolution on Saturday following Duterte-Carpio’s filing with the Comelec of her certificate of candidacy for Vice President under LAKAS-CMD.

“RESOLVED that vice presidential candidate MAYOR SARA DUTERTE CARPIO of the LAKAS-CMD is hereby ADOPTED by the PARTIDO FEDERAL NG PILIPINAS as its candidate for vice president, and hereby INDORSES her candidacy as the running mate of the PFP’s official candidate for president of the Philippines SENATOR FERDINAND R. MARCOS, JR. in the May 9, 2022, national elections,” A portion of the resolution read.

The said resolution further stated that the party did not issue certificates of nomination and acceptance (CONA) and had no official candidates for Vice President and Senators for the upcoming polls.

It also added that party Chair and standard-bearer Ferdinand Marcos Jr was given “full power and authority” to choose his Vice Presidential running mate and senatorial line-up. (RA/JuanManila)