Solicitor General Jose Calida ranked second-highest-paid government official in 2019, the Commission on Audit (COA) said in its latest report.
COA’s 2019 Report on Salaries and Allowances (ROSA) showed Calida was paid more than P16.952 million last year. He also rose to his current rank from previously ranking sixth in 2018.
Topping the list is former United Coconut Planters Bank (UCPB) president and CEO Higinio Macadaeg, Jr., who was paid P20.475 million.
Of the ten top earners, six are from the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP), three from the UCPB, and one from the Office of the Solicitor General.
TOP 10 HIGHEST PAID GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS IN 2019
1. Former UCPB Pres. and CEO Higinio Macadaeg Jr. – ₱20,475,205.79
2. Solicitor General Jose Calida – ₱16,952,843.27
3. BSP Governor Benjamin Diokno – ₱15,450,731.07
4. UCPB Exec. VP and Head of Treasury Banking Group Eulogio Catabran – ₱15,097,326.13
5. BSP Deputy Governor Maria Almasara Tuaño-Amador – ₱14,604,660.46
6. BSP Deputy Governor Chuchi Fonacier – ₱14,595,150.67
7. BSP Senior Assistant Governor Dahlia Luna – ₱12,244,273.37
8. BSP Senior Assistant Governor Ma. Ramona Gertrudes Santiago – ₱12,179,712.23
9. Former UCPB Exec. VP and Head of Branch Banking Group Edmond Bernardo – ₱11,586,338.43
10. BSP General Counsel Elmore Capule – ₱11,421,290.17
The ROSA is an annual report that summarizes the total payments received by officials in government-owned or controlled corporations (GOCC), national government agencies, state universities and colleges, and standalone agencies.
This aims to “complement the continuing thrust of the government for transparency and accountability,” and summarize total payments and benefits officials received, the COA said.